This program is funded by a $25 million appropriation from the State of North Carolina. It provides funding to local governments for public infrastructure projects that result in mitigation of flooding.
“The Golden LEAF Foundation is pleased to administer a program for local governments to apply for flood mitigation assistance,” said Scott T. Hamilton, Golden LEAF President, Chief Executive Officer. “Golden LEAF has been trusted by the State to provide $114.5 million in funding for hurricane recovery. This time the State has asked Golden LEAF to administer funding to reduce the impact of future floods. We look forward to being a partner in this approach to keep our communities resilient.”
The Flood Mitigation Program awards funding up to $250,000 per project. Funds may only be awarded to units of local government. Local governments from all 100 counties are eligible. For purposes of this program, units of local governments include counties and cities and their boards, agencies, commissions, authorities, and institutions.
Eligible projects include the following:
- Construction of new or improvement of existing publicly owned stormwater infrastructure, including natural drainage infrastructure and flood control equipment.
- Repair of existing stormwater infrastructure damaged or destroyed by flooding, which must include improvements to mitigate against future flooding.
- Engineering expenses related to planning and development of flood mitigation solutions.
Characteristics of competitive projects include the following:
- Efforts to mitigate against hazards with a frequency beyond a hurricane or other named storm.
- Clear benefit for residents, businesses, and other entities within a community with priority on those where flooding poses a risk for life, health, and safety.
- Demonstrated likelihood of success and feasibility demonstrated by engineering reports and analysis by professional engineers.
- Current (within the last six months) estimate of probable cost or other similar document.
- Linked to a comprehensive stormwater assessment or planning effort with community support.
- Sustainable outcomes that can be maintained following use of funds.
- Reasonable strategy for implementation, for applications to support planning efforts.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis until all available funds are awarded. Access the Flood Mitigation Program application and details by clicking here.